Introducing our printable literacy year planner
To help you plan exciting literacy events across the year we've developed a printable calendar that can be displayed in your staffroom, or discussed with colleagues, to ensure literacy is embedded in activities throughout the school year.
Available in both primary and secondary versions, the calendar highlights important dates where inspiring activities can add an insightful or fun opportunity to support learning, and enable pupils to practise and develop aspects of literacy in an engaging context.
Linked to these literacy and cultural moments, we'll be providing evidence-based and curriculum-linked educational resources to help you support positive engagement with reading, writing, speaking and listening. For some moments, we also provide free online events for your school to participate in.
Where relevant, we work with expert partners to ensure that the resources we design embed inclusion, celebrate diversity and address challenging topics with sensitivity.
What is included in the calendar
A month by month overview of:
- Literacy key moments including World Book Day, National Poetry Day and Storytelling Week.
- Cultural awareness and school calendar moments for which we provide resources, such as Back to School (new academic year) Remembrance, Earth Day and Refugee Week.
- Competitions and Reading Champions Challenges.
- Conferences to support staff CPD.
How to use the calendar
- Display the calendar in your classroom, staffroom or year group area to highlight interesting opportunities for embedding literacy learning.
- Share the calendar in planning sessions with colleagues to create a literacy-rich curriculum making full use of of your National Literacy Trust membership to access supporting materials.
- Use the printable calendar in conjunction with our online literacy teaching events calendar which includes links to our evidence-based, flexible resources.
Accessing your printable calendar
This is a premium resource, and you'll need to be logged in under a whole-school premium subscription to download the calendar.
To learn more about the benefits of whole-school membership, including access to literacy planning and teaching resources, logins for colleagues and exclusive discounts, visit our Join Us page.
We'd love to know if our premium members find this calendar useful, and to hear your suggestions as we move forwards with developing our premium offer. Let us know at email@example.com