This resource prepares Year 6 pupils for the SATs/Key Stage 2 National Curriculum Assessment reading paper.
It can be used with the whole class, in small groups or even as a revision booklet that pupils can take home and share with their parents or carers. It is designed directly for pupils in order to give them top tips and guidance on the three main domains tested – word meaning, retrieval and inference and is updated each year to ensure challenges, trends and changes in question types from previous papers are explicitly noted.
The 2019 resource contains six downloads:
Year 6 SATs reading paper top tips
A PowerPoint presentation to ensure your pupils are fully prepared for the types of questions that will be asked in the reading paper and the skills they need to answer them effectively. Topics covered include:
- lessons from last year’s paper
- easy to use effective strategies
- familiarisation of common question stems
- top tips and examples
Write your own question templates
Five templates are provided to give pupils fun ways to familiarise themselves with different question types by writing their own questions and challenging their peers. Downloadable templates include:
- Write your own fact or opinion question template
- Write your own matching question example
- Write your own matching question template
- Write your own true/false question template
- Write your own word question template