In alignment with with the Education Endowment Foundation (EEF) school guide to implementation, this CPD does not treat implementing change as an event but as a process with all aspects planned and executed in stages.
The course takes place over two days, spread across two terms to allow critical reflection between sessions.
- Where does comprehension sit in relation to the wider concept of reading?
- Deepen your knowledge of the key process of comprehension
- Evaluate current strategies and practice including phonics first
- Explore and practice effective strategies for developing comprehension
- Identify a key focus area to develop and beginnings of an action plan
- Findings from the exploration: observations, learning and impact so far
- Digging deeper: exploring and developing inference
- Discuss how to balance teaching and testing
- Develop an understanding of what to look for in assessing comprehension
- Explore the importance of knowledge of children's literature
To promote collaborative practice, we encourage two teachers including the literacy lead from each school to participate.
- £400 for the first participant
- £300 for each additional participant
- We invite a head or senior leader from each school to attend the first session free of charge
- Attendance includes one year's membership of the National Literacy Trust giving all teachers in the school access to a range of resources*
*existing National Literacy Trust members receive a £50 discount per school