Get a free family log in for our Skills Academy website and encourage your children to take online reading challenges. When they complete them they will be rewarded with videos on how to do amazing freestyle football tricks, and beatbox and breakdancing skills. Why not all have a go together?
You will need:
- Access to a phone, tablet or computer
- An email address
- A football, some music and some space where you won’t break anything!
What do you need to do?
- Go to the Skills Academy website www.skillsacademy.org.uk and choose the family log in option.
- You will be asked for your name and an email address. You should be aged 18 or over to register.
- You will be sent an email with a user name (your email address) and a password. Keep this email safe!
- Go back to the Skills Academy website www.skillsacademy.org.uk and log in.
- Choose a theme: Freestyle football, or Beatbox and Breakdance! The reading challenges use texts that are about these subjects.
- Encourage your child to take the challenges. Why not join in? When you complete them you will unlock a video teaching a trick or skill relating to your chosen theme.
- Turn on the music, find somewhere to practise the skills and try not to wreck the joint!
These challenges are part of our Skills Academy reading intervention – a programme for students in Years 7 & 8 to boost their comprehension skills. In the current COVID-19 period, schools can also access the programme for free. Teachers should visit our Skills Academy area for schools for more information.