Join us for the launch of the Bradford Stories Festival celebrating the people, places and stories at the heart of Bradford communities.
Thursday 10 October, 9.30am – 5.30pm
Kala Sangam Arts Centre,
St Peter’s House, 1 Forster Ct, Bradford BD1 4TY
Download the flyer here or see below to find out what's on!
Discover stories new and old in our exhibition space featuring:
- Humanising by Mussarat Rehman and Biasan
- Women, Art and Belief curated by Wahida Shaffi
- Through my Father’s Lens by Nabeelah Hafeez
- Mill Girls by Maria Philburn
- Pop-up exhibition displays and many more!
Enjoy the Mini Diversity Shows at 9.45am and 1.45pm with Sufi performance with djembe drumming, songs, spoken word poetry and breakdancing.
Join in with our Migrant Story Circle at 10.30am in the Clock Tower: explore migrant and immigrant identity with Vie Clerc and Global Bradford.
Explore our Living Library where the ‘books’ are real people!
- Reverend Dr Toby Howarth, Bishop of Bradford
- Dr Geetha Upadhyaya, founder of Kala Sangam and classic Indian dancer
- Dr Hamza Mujtaba, award-winning videographer
- Ambreen Sadiq, one of the first female Asian Muslims to box in the UK
- Rudi Leavor, Jewish community leader
- Zaman Akbary, basketball coach and inspirational speaker
- Maureen Grant, West Indian Community Centre Association
- Surinder Kaur Jagpal, former senior lecturer
Give breakdancing a try with Tranquil Productions showing us how it’s done.
Children from local schools will also be attending the festival taking part in a range of workshops including:
- Making mosaics with Saba Riffat
- Performance poetry with Kirsty Taylor
- Creating mini-zines with Munaza Kulsoom
- Building collage portraits with Mussarat Rahman
- Exploring Islamic calligraphy with Ghulam Farooq
- African drums and storytelling with Moses Ekebuisi
Plus talks and discussions, stalls, celebrations of music, poetry, song and dance and much more!