In summer 2022, 20 open book sculptures will bring the magic and excitement of reading to key locations across Salford. We’re offering businesses like yours the exciting opportunity to sponsor a sculpture and be part of the Salford Literacy Trail. You can help inspire more children to read for pleasure, transforming their futures.
The Salford Literacy Trail has been created through a collaboration between the Bupa Foundation and the National Literacy Trust. Each BookBench sculpture will be decorated by a different local artist taking inspiration from literature and the city’s culture and history.
The eye-catching, unmissable benches along this adventurous trail will encourage families to spend time together (re)discovering the magic of reading and learning interesting facts about the local area. We’re working with Wild in Art, a specialist organisation behind many other successful trails, such as Bee in the City.
Why we need this more than ever
School closures in Greater Manchester and across the UK caused by COVID-19 disproportionately impacted children from disadvantaged backgrounds, many of whom lived without enough food, let alone having the books, laptops and space needed to learn. As a result, the poverty attainment gap is expected to widen by as much as 75%, with disadvantaged children falling as far as 16 months behind their better-off peers.
This is a gap many may never recover from. They were already twice as likely as their better-off peers to leave primary school unable to read and write at the level expected for their age, and to leave secondary school without good GCSEs in English and maths.
Your sponsorship will provide vital funding for the National Literacy Trust to champion reading to local disadvantaged children. It will allow these children to discover the joy of books, which will help them
succeed at school, get a better job and look after their health and wellbeing, among many other benefits.
Reach and impact
- The Salford Literacy Trail will inspire and engage the local community with literacy in a unique way, and help support their wellbeing following the challenges of the pandemic.
- By working with multiple partners from Salford’s businesses, local authority, education and cultural organisations, we will maximise awareness and impact.
- We will engage local schools and communities through tie-in activities during the 10-week trail.
- Using local artists will ensure that community pride and integration is at the heart of the activity.
- The trail will encourage residents to re-discover and connect with their surroundings.
- The trail will significantly drive footfall and dwell time across Salford and increase consumer spending and business engagement. What’s more, it is likely to be a major tourist draw.
Your sponsorship opportunity
Sponsorship of a Salford Literacy Trail sculpture starts at £5,000 +VAT.
By being a part of this incredible trail you will benefit from:
- Your logo displayed on a plaque with your sculpture. All sculptures will be in prominent public positions across Salford for 10 -12 weeks during July and August 2022.
- Promotion through our website, social media and campaign press release and PR.
- Opportunity to add promotional messaging to our interactive map.
- Additional opportunities for your staff to get involved.
- Opportunities to be part of exclusive events and the auction night.
- Funding the work of the National Literacy Trust to support local communities where low levels of literacy are having a serious effect on people’s lives.
The National Literacy Trust also has other partnership funding opportunities to support children in the communities where your business operates.
For more information and to become a sponsor please contact Grace Robinson, Head of Partnership Development, on 07849 353 733 or firstname.lastname@example.org