Parents are their children's first role models and you have a strong influence on their reading habits and ongoing learning.
Here are some ways you can support your child's literacy skills:
- Read, sing or share stories with your child for 10 minutes a day from birth
- Introduce your child to your local library at an early age and taking them there regularly to enjoy story time
- Read with your child even when they can read by themselves
- Talk to your child about what they are reading and share books you’ve enjoyed
- Visit the Words for Life website for development milestones, tips and fun activities to help your child develop good literacy skills
See our tips for:
Share your reading moments with us on social media using the hashtag #StokeReads.