Tap into your students’ passions with this motivating and structured journalism challenge. This writing challenge will take students through the steps, from research, planning and writing a feature article for a newspaper or magazine about an issue they are passionate about.
The following resources are available:
• My Words, My World: Non-fiction feature writing teaching resource. A framework for teachers to support pupils to research, plan and write a high quality feature article about an issue they are passionate about.
• My Words, My Worlds journalists. Find out more about the journalists supporting the challenge and read some of their work.
• Film clips of the journalists talking about their work, what motivates them and what makes a good feature article. Great to use as a stimulus for discussion to focus students’ attention before they begin to write.
• Example feature articles. Use these example articles, kindly contributed by our journalists and young people’s news providers First News and The Day, to help your pupils understand the structural and language features of a feature article:
• MPs’ fury over the ‘national scandal’ of FGM from The Day (download from the list on the right)
• In Swaziland, Coca-Cola has the power to make democracy the real thing by Maurice McLeod for The Guardian
• Loneliness ‘epidemic’ plaguing young people from The Day
• Every child deserves an education from First News (download from the list on the right)
• Is your child a "little Buddha"?: How spoiling our children is making them lazy brats by Judy Yorke for The Mirror
These resources were produced in partnership with the Authors’ Licensing and Collecting Society (ALCS) for a competition we ran in 2014.
You might also be interested in
PremiumA compilation of recent research and policy developments to support whole-school and disciplinary literacy in secondary schools.View details about Secondary School Literacy Research and Policy Guide
FreeSupporting schools and early years settings with literacy teaching resources to help enrich your lessons linking to literacy moments and awareness days throughout the academic year.View details about Literacy teaching and school events calendar 2023-2024
FreeA free teaching resource inspired by Michelle Obama’s bestselling memoir, Becoming, to boost secondary students’ literacy, leadership abilities and confidence.View details about Becoming by Michelle Obama: supporting literacy and PSHE education (Key Stages 3-5)