What's a story sack?
A story sack is a large cloth bag, such as a pillow case or grocery bag, with a favourite children's book and supporting materials.
Why are story sacks useful?
Making filled story sacks can help to make reading meaningful and fun. Fill the back with models, props and prompts to retell the story and promote engagement and discussion. Build up a library of story sacks in your setting that can be used with small and large groups, or sent home to support parents and carers to build their child's love of books and reading in the home
Using story sacks in your early years setting will help with:
- stimulating language development
- making reading more memorable
- supporting children with their own storytelling
Our story sack guide
Download the guide from the available files list on this page to access:
- general instructions on how to make and use story sacks
- two story sack ideas with step by step instructions based on The Three Little Pigs and We’re Going On A Bear Hunt.