In response to school closures across the UK, we today launched a free comprehensive online zone for parents seeking ideas and guidance for activities that will engage their children at home, whilst also benefiting their reading, writing and language development.
Family Zone (accessible at literacyfamilyzone.org.uk) is our one-stop shop for families. Drawing on both our expertise and incredible partnerships with teachers, authors, publishers, educational organisations and corporates. On Family Zone we are bringing together some of the UK’s most exciting literacy resources and activities all in one place.
Families can access engaging reading and writing activities, book lists, videos, audiobooks, competitions and reading challenges, curated for early years to early teens. We will regularly be adding new activities and resources and features over the coming weeks and months.
Some of the resources and activities available for families to enjoy together at home include:
- Simple and fun Small Talk videos to help parents chat, play and read with their young child
- Top tips for enjoying audiobooks as a family
- A Reading Miles Global Challenge to encourage children to read around the world
- Activity sheets based on popular children’s books, including Where’s Wally?, as well as playful learning activities featuring much-loved CBeebies characters
- Exciting author videos, including live stories with author Steve Antony, draw-along sessions with illustrator Rob Biddulph and poetry workshops with Sarah Crossan
“During these unprecedented times, we want to ensure that every parent across the UK has access to a wide range of exciting activities that will engage their children at home, whilst also supporting their literacy development. From live story time with incredible children’s authors to building your very own reading den at home – our Family Zone has something for everyone.”Jonathan Douglas, our Chief Executive
Over the coming weeks and months, we will be developing and publishing new and innovative content on Family Zone that will keep families engaged and motivated to learn and share stories together.