Peterborough is home to some of the most significant literacy problems in the country. 1 in 11 children in the most disadvantaged areas of the city do not have a book of their own at home, making them nearly four times more likely to read below the expected level for their age.
COVID-19 is set to reverse all the progress made to close the literacy gap between disadvantaged children and their more affluent peers. The learning loss caused by school closures is the equivalent to a whole year of schooling, which could hold them back for the rest of their lives – unless we act now.
You can spark a love of reading for Peterborough children and ensure these impacts don’t last a lifetime by taking part in our Peterborough Book Gifting Scheme, supported by Metro Bank (Peterborough branch).
By taking part, you will:
- Provide new books to disadvantaged children in Peterborough
- Spark a love of reading
- Support our schools to make sure every child learns to read well
- Help bridge the growing literacy gap
How to get involved:
Buy and wrap* a new book for children aged 9-11 this Christmas and post or drop to: Peterborough Book Gifting Scheme, Metro Bank, 29 Long Causeway, Peterborough, PE1 1YJ. Ideas for titles include:
- Fantastic Mr Fox by Roald Dahl
- Goodnight Mr Tom by Michelle Magorian
- Running Wild by Michael Morpurgo
- The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne
- Riddle of the Runes by Janina Ramirez
- The Breadwinner by Deborah Ellis
- The Jamie Drake Equation by Christopher Edge
- The Explorer by Katherine Rundell
- The Adventures of Robin Hood by Roger Green
- Anneli the Art Hater by Anne Fine
- Journey to the River Sea by Eva Ibbotson
- Gangsta Granny by David Walliams
*We would love for you to gift wrap your book but don’t worry if you can’t, we are still happy to accept unwrapped books.
Please post or drop your book by 3 December.
You can help even more children by getting your colleagues involved in a corporate book collection. If you would like to arrange a collection from your business, please get in touch with our Peterborough Reads Development Manager, Lisa.
If you are unable to gift a book this Christmas, you can still help change life stories by making a donation on our website. Please let us know why you’re donating by using the reference ‘Peterborough Reads Book Gifting’.
You can also text PBREADS to 70085 to donate £7 to spark a love of reading for children in Peterborough this Christmas. (Texts cost £7 plus one standard rate message and you’ll be opting in to hear more about our work and fundraising via telephone and SMS. If you’d like to give £7 but do not wish to receive marketing communications, text PBREADSNOINFO to 70085.)