Refugee Week takes place from 20-26 June 2022 and the theme this year is Healing.
Thanks to generous funding support from the Marks Family Charitable Trust, the Association of Jewish Refugees and The Blue Thread, the National Literacy Trust has worked with award-winning author Tom Palmer to produce free resources, including an instalment story, to help schools focus on Refugee Week.
Refugee Week classroom resources
The resources are designed to be used throughout the week from Monday 20 June 2022, and are suitable for use with students aged 10 to 14 (Upper Key Stage 2 and Key Stage 3). All resources are available to view now.
- A short video from author Tom Palmer to introduce the story and resources to students.
- A story in five instalments written specially for Refugee Week by Tom Palmer. The story - The Girl in the Lewandowski Top - follows a Ukrainian girl as she is welcomed into a school in the UK. Teachers can download and read the story, or watch Tom read the story (below).
- Five videos and five worksheets to support and inspire students to write their own responses. Students can submit their work using the mechanism outlined in the teacher guide.
- A teacher guide with ideas and sources to support your delivery and students' writing.
- An online Q&A event with Tom Palmer, took place on Monday 20 June. You can now watch the recording of the event below.
Intro video and videos to support activities
Videos of Tom Palmer reading the story
Recording of the live event with Tom Palmer to launch Refugee Week resources
- Ukraine war support and resources
- Introducing young children to Refugee Week
- Refugee and Migrant Stories booklist
- Resources from Holocaust Memorial Day 2022
- Resources from our Refugee Week 2022 Get Islington Reading activity