Disciplinary literacy emphasises ways of knowing and communicating knowledge within a subject discipline.
It helps students understand how language works in different subject areas and supports their understanding of how vocabulary is used, how question phrasing will shape the answer expected, and how to interpret the written and graphic materials used for learning.
The presentation and resources provided here can be used to lead a staff training workshop or be shared for staff to access independently for self-study and knowledge development.
The resources include:
- An introduction to disciplinary literacy
- Relevant research insights
- Key ideas and examples relating to different subject areas
- Self-study exercises for reflection
- Recommendations for further reading