Free Diverse Libraries annual webinar series
Our Diverse Libraries webinar series is open to all library staff and teachers based in primary or secondary schools, public or community libraries across the UK.
Participating in these webinars will give you the opportunity to:
- Deepen your understanding of diversifying reading materials and widening access in reading spaces
- Explore barriers which might be preventing your library collection from being fully inclusive
- Be inspired to create a more inclusive reading experience for all children and young people in a library setting, both at school and in the community
- Hear best practice examples from a range of experts working in the field
- Connect with other library staff and teachers from across the country, who are also passionate about this issue
Diverse Libraries webinars 2023-2024
Our new series of Diverse Libraries webinars for 2023-24 launched in November. Further webinars are planned for March and June.
The first webinar focused on providing inclusive reading spaces for, and authentic representations of, children, young people and families of Gypsy, Roma and Traveller heritage, featuring expert speakers:
- Richard O’Neill: sixth-generation master storyteller and author from the Romany tradition.
- Gemma Bagnall: teacher, SENco and subject lead, passionate about diversity and inclusion of Gypsy, Roma and Traveller communities through literature.
Diverse Libraries webinars 2022-2023
Last year, our webinar series focused on neurodiversity and covered the following topics:
- Webinar one: Representations of neurodiversity in children’s reading
- Webinar two: Every reader counts: developing inclusive reading provision and practice
- Webinar three - Patrick Ness: Handling difficult conversations around representation in children’s literature
Diverse Libraries Webinars 2021-2022
Two years ago, our webinar series focused on representation of ethnicity and heritage and covered the following topics:
- Webinar one: Bringing Diversity to Your Library Collection
- Webinar two: Dealing with difficult texts and promoting anti-racism
- Webinar three: Diversity Beyond the Bookshelf - Engaging library and school communities