Welcome to the National Reading Champions Quiz 2021!
Do you have students aged 10 to 14 who love reading and enjoy sharing their knowledge with friends? Or, perhaps you have students who like being part of a team and having fun? If you answer 'yes!' to at least one of these then read on.
The NRCQ, generously supported by ALCS, provides a fantastic opportunity for students to enjoy an online quiz with their peers and compete with other schools in their region. The winning teams from 18 regions will go forward to a star-studded, national final on 24 June with one team being crowned National Reading Champions 2021.
How to take part
Schools can enter either one or two teams, and each team should be made up of four students, plus a reserve. Students must be aged between 10 and 14 inclusive, and the entrance fee is just £20 per team. Please read the details below and scroll down to register.
How will the online regional heats work?
You will be emailed in advance login details for your regional quiz hosted on Microsoft Teams. When you join on the day our online quiz master will be ready and waiting for your team(s) along with the other competing schools in your area. We're also hoping to arrange for a local author and even a VIP to 'drop in' to say hello and encourage your students.
The quiz will be live with questions being read aloud on screen. It will last approximately two and a half hours with intermittent breaks. There will be ten rounds with ten questions each all about well-known books, characters, authors, and a few word-play teasers as well. In the event of a draw there will be additional tie-breaker questions.
An off‑screen marking system will be in place to ensure regular leader board updates and a winner announcement at the end.
We will supply you with prizes to give to every student on the day for taking part, and there are book tokens to be won in each heat for the teams who come first, second and third.
Please take a look at which regional heat your school belongs in to find out when your quiz will take place.
The winning team from each regional heat will go forward to the online national final, taking place on Thursday 24 June 2021.
- Welcome video from our quiz master, Mr Dilly
- Sample quiz sheets and answer sheets to download - maybe you can use them to select your teams or as practice ahead of the big heat. They are a useful gauge for what may come up in the quiz.
- A4 fliers and A3 posters to spread the word around school, recruit students and gather support for your team
- Press pack ideas can be provided to you once you have registered to take part
- Visit our Reading Champions Challenge page for ideas to support students in reading for pleasure, improving reading stamina and reading diversely.