About Hungry Little Minds in Wirral
In June 2021, the Hungry Little Minds campaign - led by the National Literacy Trust - launched 12 brand new story trails in local parks and lakes across the country for families, carers and early years settings with children aged 2-5.
In Wirral, the story trail launched at Birkenhead Park by the Foundation Years Trust working in partnership with Koala North West, Wirral Council, Wirral Libraries who attended the launch event with a mask-making activity session, and Tranmere Rovers who held an active play session with families.
The story trail in Wirral is based on a story written by children’s author Rebecca Lewis-Oakes and illustrated by Aaron Cushley, with the theme of trolls. The story trail leads families around the local park as they follow the adventures of Uncle Josh, Mia, Kai and their dog Scruffy.
We are thrilled to announce that we now have a digitised version of the story trail, meaning that all families, carers and early years settings can download the trail to a digital device and carry out the activity whenever works best.
Follow the Foundations Years Trust Facebook page to stay up to date with local updates.
How to use the digitised story trail
- Have your mobile device fully charged
- Download the story trail PDF (below)
- Pack your park bag! Get some paper and pencils at the ready, as we want to engage your little ones as much as possible
- Head to Birkenhead Park (Park Drive, Birkenhead CH41 4HY)
- Start the trail by following the map in the booklet
- Carry out the trail with your little one and enjoy all that it has to offer! If you would like to share your experience, you can do so by using the hashtag #HLMStoryTrail
- Your feedback is very important to us, so please spare 10 minutes to complete this survey, so that we can hear your thoughts and experiences
The story trail pdf
Download the Birkenhead Park story trail here or view it below.
"We had a lovely time and my little boy and myself both made new friends... thank you!"- Parent from launch event