We’re living through history right now. Encourage your child to complete these literacy-themed time capsule activities and create a bank of memories of the 2020 lockdown to look back on in the future. They'll have fun improving their writing and creativity skills in the process!
Download the activity on the button below to get started. You can print it out or else encourage your child to follow the activities in a notebook instead.
Share your 'letter to myself' with us and receive a free book!*
We are creating an online gallery of Nottingham's 'letters to myself' and we would love to include your letters!
Send us your child's 'letter to myself' (found on page 6 of the time capsule activity sheet) to receive a free book and the chance for it to be featured in our online gallery! Email a picture of your letter or send your typed letter to us at Nottingham@literacytrust.org.uk. Please include your child's first name and age, plus a delivery address for your book.
If your letter is featured, the letter, plus your child's first name and age, will be featured on our website and social media channels. Please let us know if you would prefer your letter to be anonymous.
*While stocks last. Book titles available may vary. Open to Nottingham City residents only. COMPETITION NOW CLOSED.
When your child has filled in their time capsule, why not hide it together!
- Find an envelope or make one by sticking/taping two pieces of paper together.
- Pop your time capsule pages in your envelope!
- Write your name and the date to be opened on the front - you could pick a date a few months away or a year from now.
__________'s Time Capsule. Not to be opened until: __ / __ / __
- Decorate your envelope however you like!
- Find the perfect spot to hide your time capsule - it could be at the back of a cupboard, under a rug or buried under your socks - but don't forget where you've hidden it!
- If you have a spare shoe box, you could make your time capsule bigger! You could include some of the fun things you've been up to during lockdown such as your pictures, writing and crafts. Just pop them in a box along with your time capsule pages then decorate and hide your box as above!
- Make sure you don't forget where you've hidden your time capsule by making your own treasure map to find it again! Try this treasure hunt activity on Family Zone to make a map to your time capsule's hiding place.