Could you make a difference to literacy levels on the North Yorkshire Coast by becoming a Literacy Champion?
We are looking for volunteers in the local community who are passionate about literacy to help us improve literacy in Scarborough, Whitby and Filey.
There are lots of ways you can get involved and there’s no minimum commitment – even the smallest actions can make a big difference.
What is a Literacy Champion?
Literacy Champions are local volunteers who are keen to get involved and tackle the literacy challenge across the North Yorkshire Coast.
They may be parents, students, professionals or business owners, but they are all committed to taking action on local literacy in the home, in their workplace, in their community, and online.
What you can do
In the workplace
- Raise awareness of the campaign by placing posters around your workplace
- Share campaign activity and the importance of literacy on your organisation’s social media channels and website, and in customer-facing communications
- Set up a workplace lending library with a children’s section
In your community
- Reach out to your local school or care home to see if they need volunteer reading support
- Distribute leaflets around your neighbourhood
- Create a book club and invite friends and family to get them reading
- Share literacy messages and news on events through your social media accounts
- Share photos of your favourite books or literary quotes through your personal social media accounts
If you're interested, please get in touch with Hub Manager Elizabeth.Dyer@northyorks.gov.uk.
Success storyView detailsInterested in becoming a Literacy Champion? Find out how David uses a vintage police car to inspire local story writers. Success storyView detailsInterested in becoming a Literacy Champion? Find out about Keely & Andy's experience at their martial arts club.