This page contains all the additional resources you will need to run Early Words Together for children aged for 4 to 5. The resources complement the programme materials sent to settings.
This section is usually available to schools and settings once they have undertaken Early Words Together training. The resources are only open to those who have:
- Purchased Early Words Together from the National Literacy Trust
- Taken part in strategic, funded delivery of Early Words Together, led by the National Literacy Trust
Please note that these resources will continue to be developed, adapted and added to, so it is important that you check them regularly.
Best practice examples will be shared as they are developed. If you feel others could benefit from examples of what you have been doing in your setting, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Family identification and recruitment
- Early Words Together family referral form: partners can refer families on to the programme using their existing processes or use this form
- Early Words Together family sign up form: this form can be used to register families for Early Words Together and determine whether or not Early Words Together or another service is best for particular families
Staff training presentation: the PowerPoint presentation used in the staff training
Volunteer management and training
- Volunteer role description: this leaflet can be handed out to potential volunteers. It sets out who can be an Early Words Together volunteer and describes the role and benefits of volunteering
- Early Words Together volunteer tips and FAQs: this resource for staff has information about managing volunteers in your setting. It includes tips on how to recruit and support volunteers and other important consideration
- Volunteer recruitment poster and brochure: these posters and brochures can be displayed around the setting to recruit volunteers. There is also a template for interviewing volunteers
- Volunteer training presentation: a PowerPoint presentation to train volunteers, complete with notes and guidance
- Volunteer training resources: these resources support the overall training of volunteers and include a training evaluation form for volunteers to complete
- Sample session plans: Two schools in Stoke have provided their session plans as examples for how you and the volunteers can plan sessions with families. . If you would like to submit an example of your own practice that you feel would benefit other settings, please contact email@example.com.
Volunteers and families
- Early Words Together for children with SEND: this resource explains how Early Words Together has been delivered with children and families with SEND
- Volunteer and family certificate templates: certificates for volunteers and families who have taken part in the programme
Evaluation and monitoring
- Parent and volunteer surveys: Parents can complete this questionnaire in their final session. The survey is available in 12 languages. Please let us know if you need one in another language. Volunteers complete their surveys at the end of their last cycle of sessions.
- Parent sign in sheet: Please record parents' attendance at sessions using this form.
- Case study template: Complete the case study to capture your learning as a practitioner, and your observations of a family's journey. Please ask parents to complete the National Literacy Trust permission form if you would include photos of volunteers, parents and children in your case study.
- Progress report (termly): Complete this online progress report termly track the programme's impact at your setting
Please contact EWT@literacytrust.org.uk with any questions you have about the programme or resources.