A reading challenge for primary schools based on the adventures of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Pupils go on their very own magical reading tour, spending time reading, both at home and at school, in order to fuel Chitty’s tank. For every 10 minutes they spend reading, pupils earn one litre of fuel for the tank, 10 hours (or 60 litres!) in total. They can record their reading in their very own “Driver’s Log” and there’s a certificate for pupils who complete the challenge.
There are two teaching resources to support the challenge:
- Cross-curricular topic-based activities linked to the challenge and the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang story, which can be used either in the classroom or as a collapsed-timetable “Chitty” day
- Ideas for a Chitty Chitty Bang Bang celebration event for pupils and their families
There are also the following supporting resources:
- An A2 poster that can be displayed on the classroom wall to promote the challenge
- A “driver’s log” in which pupils can record their reading in 10 minute blocks
- A certificate to present to all pupils who complete their reading journey
- An extract of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang in PDF format so teachers can share Ian Fleming’s story with pupils, setting the context before the challenge is introduced
These resources were created in partnership with Ian Fleming Publications and Pan Macmillan for a competition we ran in 2014.