A reading challenge for Key Stages 1 and 2 based on the popular Beast Quest and Rainbow Magic series. Pupils choose whether to journey through Rainbow Magic’s Rainspell Island or Beast Quest’s Avantia collecting points for time spent reading. For every 10 minutes they spend reading they moved one step closer to the finish – 11 ½ hours in total.
The following resources are available to download to support the reading challenge:
- Rainbow Magic and Beast Quest themed reading passports for pupils to record their reading in
- Rainbow Magic and Beast Quest certificates that can be presented to pupils who complete the challenge
- Maps of Rainspell Island and Avantia that can be displayed on the classroom wall
- Teacher support resources with cross-curricular literacy activities relating to the two series
- A supporting booklist relating to the two series that teachers could direct pupils towards once they complete the challenge
- These resources were created in partnership with Orchard Books, part of Hachette Children’s Books, for a competition we ran in 2014.
You might also be interested in
PremiumExplore our ‘Top Ten’ ideas for using storytelling to build bridges with parents and families. The resource was designed for primary schools but could easily be adapted for secondary.View details about The Storytellers’ Top Ten: using storytelling to promote parental engagement
PremiumSchool libraries have the potential to have an important impact on many areas of pupil development including pupil skills, motivation and enjoyment, not only in reading, but in a...View details about School libraries - the beating heart of the school