This report evaluates the process and impact of the National Literacy Trust’s HELLO project, commissioned by Greater Manchester Combined Authority as part of a raft of Early Years SLC initiatives across health and social care framed by the Greater Manchester SLCN pathway. The HELLO initiative ran from April 2018 until July 2019.
Following the project, practitioners are:
- more likely to engage and involve parents in their child’s language and communication development
- engaging more frequently in behaviours that demonstrate knowledge and skills in supporting children’s communication and language
- more likely to implement actions to create an enabling environment that stimulates communication and language
Outcomes for children and parents included:
- Improved children’s attainment in language and communication
- Improved attitudes towards early literacy
- Greater parental engagement in their child’s language and communication development
HELLO was shown to be an effective tool that aligned with existing SLC initiatives, enabled and evidenced improvements in communication, language and literacy provision, and facilitated the joining up of local services across both local authority and combined authority areas.