Sign up to our open sessions
Join our exciting five-week course at Eastside Community Centre from Wednesday 26 July. Suitable for ages 11-16 in Whitby, these sessions aim to develop young people's literacy and communication skills needed to make a difference in the summer holidays and beyond.
Dates and times
- July 26, 5-6pm
- August 2, 5-6pm
- August 9, 5-6pm
- August 16, 5-6pm
- August 23, 5-6pm
Location: Eastside Community Centre, Whitby YO22 4EA
Contact us if you’re a parent or carer and would like to sign up your child. Email email@example.com to secure your spot.
About the programme
Research shows that 43% of Key Stage 2 children in Scarborough and Whitby achieved the expected levels in literacy, compared to 59% nationally.
Whitby, Our Whitby gives students the opportunity to identify an issue they care about, develop their critical thinking and writing skills, and create a social action project to be able to credibly influence change.
With support from National Literacy Trust workshop leads, the participating young people will conduct research, prepare a presentation and pitch to a variety of different audiences.
Who is it for?
The programme is aimed at young people aged 11-16 in Whitby.
A chance to share their ideas with Whitby Council and the media
A memorable and engaging experience for students
Creative session plans
These will focus on understanding, identifying and navigating news, research and interviewing skills, public speaking and photo voice
Resources and templates to develop their own social action project
The opportunity to pitch a social change presentation to an expert panel
A celebration event
Outcomes of the programme
- Students will be empowered to identify and change an issue that they feel strongly about.
- They will build confidence to share and present ideas to different audiences
- Students will build confidence to engage with a range of different audiences in order to build social capital and expand their world view
- They will develop key skills that will increase their confidence to engage in workplace-based opportunities in the future
- Students will develop of critical thinking skills to be able to credibly influence change
- School and group registration: Now until June 26
- WOW creative sessions: June – July 2023
- Celebratory event: September 2023
How to sign up
If you are a teacher, work in a youth group or place where young people attend regularly in Whitby, then get in touch with Yasmin Stefanov-King to sign up now. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 07547106132.