"The national curriculum for English reflects the importance of spoken language in pupils’ development across the whole curriculum – cognitively, socially and linguistically."(DfE 2013)
About our oracy training
At this one day workshop, teachers will explore the evidence base for oracy. They will also develop an understanding of why explicit teaching of speaking and listening should form part of the language and literacy curriculum, while also ensuring that it is integrated into wider learning. Finally, attendees will learn strategies for supporting speaking and listening in the classroom.
- Explore research, theory and principles of exploratory talk and active listening
- Explore the role of speaking and listening in academic achievement and social mobility
- Develop pedagogical strategies, with a focus on book talk
- Explore the roles and responsibilities involved in developing oracy in our classrooms and across the school
- Evaluate your current provision and practice
- Gain insights into how to support pupils with additional needs
Training format and cost
The training consists of a webinar which can be accessed on receipt of booking, followed by an in-person session. The sessions are separate and complementary and it is important to engage with both.
The cost is £195 for a single booking and £150 for additional colleagues. National Literacy Trust premium members receive a £25 discount.
Learn more or book training
For more information, and to arrange t.raining for your school, please email Ruth King