Elka Evalds began her career as a museum assistant, and earned a PhD in art history from Yale University. After twelve years as a university lecturer she completed an MA in creative writing for young people at Bath Spa University in 2016. Her book, Granny Magic, was published in 2019 by Chicken House books. In addition to writing stories for children, she also lectures for adults. She has taught several courses in the history of illustrated children’s books.
All ages, any size of audience
- A Meeting with Elka: suitable for a full school assembly. Elka talks about writing, and how Granny Magic, came to be written. (30 Minutes) Followed by a question and answer period (15 minutes), and a book signing.
- A Gang of Grannies: Together with Kita Mitchell, author of the Grandma Dangerous series. Elka and Kita talk read from their books and answer questions, followed by a magic granny drawing contest and a game of dangerous granny bingo. (1 hour)
Creative Writing Workshops
- The Seed of a Story. First we generate a (nearly) random sentence. Then we use the sentence to begin a story. We discuss plot, character arc, effective villain-making, and theme, while we outline. (1 hour - Year 4 and above.)
- Make a Picture Book: We talk about what makes a story, and we write three stories together. Then, using a sheet of A4 paper, a pair of scissors, and a drawing pencil, we make blank books and transform them into picture books. (1 hour - Reception through Year 3.)
- Magic Grannies: Grans with wings, grans with broomsticks and grans with magic cooking pots. Brave children can volunteer to help act out the story. Finishes with a reading from Granny Magic. (1 hour)
- Magic Yarns: Stories about magical spinning, weaving and knitting. Begins with a demonstration of hand spinning. The children each get a bit of fleece to spin while the stories are told. Brave children can volunteer to help act out the story. Finishes with a reading from Granny Magic. (1 hour)
- The History of illustrated children’s books: a one-hour digital lecture, with examples to explore.
- The Development of the contemporary picture book: a one-hour digital lecture, with examples to explore.
Works with18+ (Adult), 16-18 (Post 16), 14-16 (KS4), 11-14 (KS3), 7-11 (KS2), 3-5 (EYFS 2)
- £150 plus travel expenses for a half day (one session)
- £250 plus travel expenses for a full day (three sessions)