About the programme
NewsWise is a free, cross-curricular news literacy project for 7-to-11-year-olds across the UK. It helps teachers empower their Key Stage 2 pupils to understand, critically navigate and report real news.
Participation is free for schools and provides teachers with a suite of curriculum-based lesson plans, online resources, exciting school workshops and opportunities to speak to real journalists.
NewsWise has been developed through a partnership comprising the Guardian Foundation, the PSHE Association and the National Literacy Trust.
We always welcome expressions of interest from schools, as well as from teacher champions willing to help spread the word about the project.
Register your interest in taking part in the full NewsWise programme. Available to primary schools across the UK with above average rates of free school meal eligibility.
Participation is free and you will enjoy:
- our fully planned cross-curricular English and PSHE unit of work, with lesson plans and resources designed by teachers and critical literacy experts
- an Enter the Newsroom virtual workshop for years 5 and/or 6
- the opportunity for your pupils to meet/hear from journalists
- a pre-project CPD training session
- a set of Guardian newspapers for each class
- opportunities to showcase your pupils’ work on our website
- a year of National Literacy Trust membership
What will you be expected to do?
- Attend pre-project training
- Arrange for your class to take part in a virtual workshop
- Deliver the unit of work building on knowledge gained through the workshop. This takes three to five weeks to teach in full.
- Complete evaluation surveys
Ready to get started?
Upcoming teacher training
We run training sessions for teachers across the UK with lots of practical examples and resources to develop critical literacy skills in the classroom and to help pupils to engage with, analyse, question and produce news.
Download all the lesson plans and resources for the NewsWise unit of work.Download
Use this teacher guide to help you make the most of the NewsWise unit of work.Download
Download the NewsWise values poster to display in your classroom.Download
Help your pupils navigate the news with this tool to use in the classroom and at home.Download
Add authenticity to news literacy lessons with these tips on how to turn your classroom into a newsroom.Download
Suggestions and links for reading and understanding the news with your family.Download
More young people than ever are using digital media as their main source of news
20% of children believe everything they read online
58% of eight to 11-year-olds said they visited news sites or apps in 2016
35% of UK teachers say pupils have cited ‘fake news’ or false information online as fact in their work