About the programme
NewsWise is a free, cross-curricular news literacy project for 7-to-11-year-olds across the UK. It helps teachers empower their Key Stage 2 pupils to understand, critically navigate and report real news.
NewsWise is free for schools and provides teachers with a suite of curriculum-based lesson plans, online resources, exciting school workshops and opportunities to speak to real journalists.
Funded by Google, we have developed NewsWise in partnership with the Guardian Foundation and the PSHE Association.
We always welcome expressions of interest from schools, and as well as from teacher champions willing to help spread the word about the project.
We are currently seeking schools in the East Midlands, East Anglia and the south east of England to run NewsWise in the Autumn term of 2021. Participation is free and you will benefit from:
- our fully planned cross-curricular English and PSHE unit of work, with lesson plans and resources designed by teachers and critical literacy experts
- an Enter the Newsroom virtual workshop for years 5 and/or 6
- the opportunity for your pupils to meet/hear from journalists
- a pre-project CPD training session
- a set of Guardian newspapers for each class
- opportunities to showcase your pupils’ work on our website
- a year of National Literacy Trust membership
What will you be expected to do?
- Attend pre-project training
- Arrange for your class to take part in a virtual workshop
- Deliver the unit of work building on knowledge gained through the workshop. This takes three to five weeks to teach in full.
- Complete evaluation surveys
Ready to get started?
Upcoming teacher training
We run training sessions for teachers across the UK with lots of practical examples and resources to develop critical literacy skills in the classroom and to help pupils to engage with, analyse, question and produce news.
NewsWise unit of workDownload all the lesson plans and resources for the NewsWise unit of work.Download
NewsWise teacher guideUse this teacher guide to help you make the most of the NewsWise unit of work.Download
NewsWise values posterDownload the NewsWise values poster to display in your classroom.Download
NewsWise navigatorHelp your pupils navigate the news with this tool to use in the classroom and at home.Download
Creating a newsroom in your classroomAdd authenticity to news literacy lessons with these tips on how to turn your classroom into a newsroom.Download
NewsWise tips for parentsSuggestions and links for reading and understanding the news with your family.Download
More young people than ever are using digital media as their main source of news
20% of children believe everything they read online
58% of eight to 11-year-olds said they visited news sites or apps in 2016
35% of UK teachers say pupils have cited ‘fake news’ or false information online as fact in their work