"Listening to and talking about stories and non-fiction develops children’s vocabulary... Understanding vocabulary is vital for comprehension and so also for wider learning and progress."The reading framework (DfE, 2022)
Pupils’ vocabulary affects their ability to communicate and to understand the world. This one-day workshop, aimed at Key Stages 1-2, helps teachers develop their knowledge of how words work and suggests practical strategies for direct instruction, including an exploration of the link between word knowledge and reading comprehension.
What will I learn?
- Reading, vocabulary and how they work together – the research around the ‘vocabulary gap’
- Word meaning, word knowledge and word-building – exploring new language and the three-tier model
- Learning and loving new words – direct and indirect instruction
- Practical strategies for teaching vocabulary
- Reflection and further resources
Structure and costing
Training takes place over two 90-minute online sessions:
- Session 1: Wednesday 6 July, 15:30 - 17:00
- Session 2: Thursday 7 July, 15:30 - 17:00
The cost is £140.00 per person. Those with a full school membership of the National Literacy Trust receive a £25 discount per booking.
Book your place using the form below. If you have any questions, or would like to receive a membership discount code, please contact the schools team: email@example.com.