First initiated during the first lockdown closures of secondary schools and colleges, Behind the Cover audio book club aims to inspire and motivate young women and non-binary readers by providing access to books digitally.
In addition it promotes critical thinking and conversation, and provides a confidence boost, whilst creating a sense of community for these young people for whom the pandemic may have meant isolation from their peers.
Generously supported by Lancôme UK, read more about our partnership and impact.
Who is this for?
Behind the Cover is a free audiobook club for all women and non-binary readers aged 16 and over. It’s a book club that celebrates brilliant books with women at the centre of the story.
Why should I get involved?
The Behind the Cover audiobook club allows women and non-binary readers aged 16 and over to listen to a varied range of titles written by brilliant women that they previously may not have had access to.
We encourage teachers and their students to sign up to Behind the Cover, promoting literacy across the school by providing texts from and for diverse audiences.
Previous Behind the Cover audiobook club members and partner schools have said:
I was so excited to see that Behind the Cover had relaunched. I was once again able to listen to an incredible audiobook that I would otherwise have struggled to afford.Student participant
We are constantly trying to find the means to get books in the hands of our students. This was a really easy and accessible way to do just that.Partner school staff participant
How it works
- You can read more and sign up here. Please also share the link with eligible students and encourage them to sign up.
- Following registration, we will send out an access code and instructions to download the audiobook. We have a limited amount of free licenses so we encourage students to sign up swiftly.
- A different book title will be released each month from January to March.
- We'll also send listeners information on ways to get involved with the conversation about the books online, such as writing a book review, answering book club questions and posting their thoughts on social media using the hashtag #BehindTheCoverClub.
What are the book titles?
- For January we offered the incredible title, Not Without a Fight by boxer, model and activist Ramla Ali. Read more about Ramla and her amazing book.
- February’s choice is Somebody Give This Heart a Pen by Sophia Thakur. Discover more about Sophia and her writing.
- The concluding title in March will be Invisible Women: Exposing Data Bias in a World Designed for Men by Caroline Criado Perez.