Please note applications are now closed for schools to attend training in Manchester, Birmingham, Middlesbrough and Newcastle. Schools from these areas are still welcome to apply but you will need to attend initial training either in Durham or Coventry.
The project is a randomised, controlled trial of children in Year 1 classrooms, and will begin in Autumn 2018.
Participating schools will be allocated to one of three groups:
- an ICT based reading programme of small group reading activities
- a non-ICT based version of the programme of small group reading activities
- a third group will not run the programme (the control group)
The reading programme contains 3 basic areas
- decoding (e.g. phonics, including blending, letter sounds, decoding, sight words)
- fluency (e.g. reading prose, reading with proper intonation)
- comprehension (e.g. summarising, comprehension monitoring, prediction, etc)
The programme is delivered in 15 minute sessions, 4 times a week to each group, for 20 weeks over one academic year
What do we ask of you?
- Identify a nominated member of staff to act as a project champion
- Allocate two members of school (this could be any member of school staff, from TAs to senior management) per class to deliver the intervention
- Release all staff delivering the intervention for 1.5 days of training in October 2018
- Allow pre & post-tests (literacy assessments) to be carried out with participating children, and supply UPNs of participating children to York Trials Unit
- The EEF ask for a £200 contribution to the costs of having staff trained and supported in the intervention. However, those in the control group will receive a payment of £500 in exchange participating in the pre and post testing of pupils.
How to apply
Please call 0207 587 3067 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
We will use your personal data in order to respond to this request, and may need to share it with others – e.g. mailing houses or delivery partners. It will only be used for this purpose, and will not be shared with anyone else.