"...the reading gap is stubborn and wide, and there are no quick fixes. But some approaches offer greater promise than others..."Reading at the Transition: Interim Evidence Brief (Higgins, Katsipatski and Coleman, June 2018)
Gain an understanding of issues around transition
Develop knowledge and understanding of the reading journey from KS2 and KS3.
Engage with research
Share plans for action research projects, including any initial audits, baseline data findings and profiles of focus groups.
Explore a range of approaches to increase engagements with texts and improve attainment in reading.
Explore ways of developing the teaching of reading from KS2 to KS3 and deepen the knowledge and understanding of effective reading comprehension and vocabulary acquisition.
Showcase and celebrate each school's project
You will select an area to focus on, for example vocabulary development or metacognition and self-regulation, and develop your own project which will be used to showcase your school's achievements.
Structure and cost
The course takes place over three twilight sessions:
- Develop strategies to develop reading for enjoyment and wider reading skills
- Develop an understanding of the key reading requirements at KS2 and KS3
- Understand the principles of action research
- Begin thinking about focus groups and projects
- Consider initial audit and baseline findings and share plans for developing projects
- Explore a range of approaches to increase engagement with texts and improve attainment in reading
- Engage with action research and foster and develop critical reflection
- Showcase and celebrate each school's project
- Develop long term strategies to disseminate school wide
- Address parental and community engagement
£300 per person (£250 per person for full school National Literacy Trust members)