We are currently seeking schools in Stoke-on-Trent to get involved in our poetry programme for class groups of students in Years 5 to 9 in the Autumn Term 2021.
You will need to commit to:
- Two twilight events in September (dates below)
- A class visit to the Remembrance Glade at the National Memorial Arboretum in September 2021
- Using five English lessons to deliver poetry writing lessons following the visit
- Hosting a virtual or in person poet workshop for your class in October 2021
To register your interest please email Francesca Bonafede
This area is for schools involved in the Young Stoke Poets project and downloads on this page are restricted to programme participants. Any resources for your pre-visit or follow-up activities can be downloaded from this page (coming soon).
We have partnered with the Royal British Legion and the National Memorial Arboretum to help children take part in Remembrance in new ways. Through a visit to the Remembrance Glade, located at the National Memorial Arboretum in Staffordshire, Young Stoke Poets helps to inspire pupils to write poetry of their own.
Following the visit to the Remembrance Glade, schools taking part in the project receive a workshop with a poet to help the pupils engage with Remembrance and shape and develop their poems.
Teachers taking part in the project reported improvements in their pupils' attitudes to writing and attainment.
The project is aimed at groups of reluctant writers in Years 5 to 9 from state schools with over 25% of pupils receiving free school meals.
If you have any questions please contact Francesca Bonafede
Schools will receive
- A teacher CPD focusing on using a memorable experience to inspire reluctant writers and ways to approach Remembrance
- A visit to the Remembrance Glade and workshop worth £180, to spark young people’s creativity
- An online or in person visit from a poet to work with the class on editing and performing their poems
- Membership of the National Literacy Trust worth £100, with access to courses and resources to support literacy teaching in school
- The opportunity for students to perform their poetry either online or in person
- A chance for students to be published in an anthology
- That you deliver five lessons with your class in the Autumn Term, using the Remembrance Glade workshop as inspiration for their poetry writing
- That you nominate and ensure the inclusion of your students in the performance and publishing opportunities
- That you and your students complete the post-project evaluation survey
- That you complete all visits and workshops by the end of October 2020
- That you copy Francesca Bonafede into all emails with cultural venues and poets
- Tuesday 7 September 2021, 4.00-5.30pm: online teacher briefing session
- Tuesday 14 September 2021, 4.00-5.30pm: poetry soirée for teachers
- September 2021: class visit to the Remembrance Glade
- September - October 2021: delivering poetry lessons based on the visit to the Glade
- October 2021: a workshop from your allocated professional poet
- November 2021: a dedicated Remembrance event where pupils can share their poetry