Downloads on this page are restricted to programme participants.
This area is for schools involved in the Young Birmingham Poets project.
Here you can find the documents that will support you in delivering the project, including the resource pack and slides from the CPD day.
If you have any questions about the project please contact email@example.com
Mini unit of work
This resource has been created to support learning for pupils in Years 5 to 9 who are participating in the Young Birmingham Poets project. The resource includes a series of lessons that explore the different forms of poetry being taught as part of this project. It offers a range of activities that have been designed to develop pupils’ poetry writing skills and prepare them for a performance of their poems. It also includes a detailed list of poems that can be used as models throughout the project.
Membership resource pack
A detailed overview of the workshop students will participate in when they visit their allocated cultural venue.
- Some suggested pre-visit activities
- Homework tasks to complement each venue’s workshop.
Each workshop focuses on a different poetic form. Teachers, librarians and literacy coordinators can also use these resources to help plan future cultural visits, and to support the teaching and learning of poetry in their school.
Slides from the CPD day
These outline the structure of the project and its main aims and objectives of the project. They also highlight the main findings of the most recent Young Birmingham Poets evaluation report, which explains the effect of using a memorable experience and working with a real writer on young people’s attitudes to writing.
- One visit to a cultural venue for a class of around 30 students
- One workshop with a professional poet at your school
- Free membership for a year to the National Literacy Trust
- Opportunities for performance and publishing
- Free audiobooks from Audible
- That you deliver at least five lessons with your class, using the venue visit as inspiration for their poetry writing
- That you nominate and ensure the inclusion of your students in the performance and publishing opportunities
- That you and your students complete the post-project evaluation survey
- That you complete all visits and workshops by the end of spring term 2020
- That you copy firstname.lastname@example.org into all emails with cultural venues and poets