This resource asks Key Stage 2 or Key Stage 3 students to research and develop a promotional information guide to a local attraction.
Students will learn about creating a high-quality promotional guide and develop their skills in writing information-based texts. They will also learn about issues around plagiarism, copyright and intellectual property.
The project can be undertaken by individual pupils in small groups or as a whole class, during term time or outside school, enabling you to use it flexibly. Equally it can be used in part, with many elements acting as stand-alone resources.
The resource includes:
- an introduction and overview for teachers
- preparatory work (much of which will be suitable to use as one-off sessions)
- a brief and materials for students to create information booklets on a local attraction or site of interest
- a series of exercises for the students to use to develop and produce their information booklet (including researching and gathering information, using images, and planning and preparing the booklet)
- fact sheets and guides (to support the preparatory sessions)
Links to the national curriculum:
The resource is linked to the national curriculum in the following areas:
- Key Stage 2: reading, writing, spoken language
- Key Stage 3: writing, grammar and vocabulary, spoken English