Early language development is critical for children’s later success in school. Using the classic tale, We’re Going on a Bear Hunt, by Michael Rosen, this resource expands children’s vocabulary while taking them on an exciting adventure with their peers.
The session plans are perfect for whole-class activities, and encourage getting outdoors! They are accompanied by a list of simple activities that parents and practitioners can do at home or in nursery to support children’s development across the range of Early Years Foundation Stage outcomes.
In this resource we provide:
- A session plan for introducing We’re Going on a Bear Hunt to children approximately three years old, with support for those with less or more language
- A follow-up session-plan which includes an outdoor scavenger hunt
- Two scavenger hunt activity sheets
- Accompanying list of activities related to the book that support children’s development across the EYFS
The activities are appropriate for children aged two to four, and have ideas for adapting the plan for younger and older children.
Links to EYFS areas of learning and development
- Communication and language
- Physical development
- Expressive arts and design
- Personal, social, and emotional development
- Understanding the world