A new edition of the Annual Literacy Research and Policy Guide 2018/19 is now available covering the latest research findings and guidance. The 2017/18 editions remain available on this page for reference and to catch up on any information you may have missed.
A yearly compilation of recent research and policy developments in literacy to support busy practitioners in building evidence-based practice. There are primary and secondary versions available covering key literacy areas:
1. Early reading and phonics
2. Reading enjoyment
3. Reading comprehension
4. Writing culture
5. Writing curriculum
6. Embedding the writing process
7. Vocabulary, grammar and punctuation
8. Transcription - handwriting and spelling
9. Spoken language
10. Leadership and assessment
1. Leading literacy across the school
2. Reading for enjoyment and wider reading
3. Developing teachers’ reading approaches and pedagogy
4. Writing engagement and enjoyment
5. Developing teachers’ writing knowledge and pedagogy
6. Developing spoken language skills
7. Supporting literacy through interventions
Annual Literacy Toolkit
The Annual Literacy Research and Policy Guide sits alongside our Annual Literacy School Review and our Annual Literacy Pupil Survey. Together this Literacy Toolkit provides a comprehensive suite of materials to support evaluation, reflection and ongoing strategic development of whole-school literacy.
Updated every year, these three essential publications can be built into your annual school-improvement cycle to provide a gateway to good practice that is informed by evidence, in line with policy and inspired by practical ideas.