We teamed up with Puffin to ask children about their reading during lockdown. Children told us that they're reading more and enjoying reading more. They also said that reading has helped them feel better and dream about the future during an uncertain time.
Here are children’s top tips for how you can help them to carry on reading over the summer. These tips are available as a poster.
How to help your child to keep reading over the summer
- Make time for reading. Children said that time away from school and social activities during lockdown has given them more time to enjoy stories
- Let your child choose their next story. Children said that they have loved getting to choose what they read rather than being told what to read
- Find a quiet spot. Children said that having a quiet space to enjoy stories helped them concentrate and relax
- Let your child explore something new. Children said that they have discovered brand new stories through ebooks, audiobooks and storytelling videos
- Share stories together. Children said that they loved sharing stories with their family, and missed talking about them with their friends.
Find out more
Read more about the findings from our report on children's reading during lockdown.