The reformed GCSEs include literacy requirements which can present a challenge to non-specialists. In line with recommendations from Improving Literacy in Secondary Schools (EEF July 2019), this workshop supports teachers to prioritise and teach "disciplinary literacy" across all subjects, with a focus on extended writing and SPaG.
"A great opportunity to speak to other teachers about shared issues. Catharine [the trainer] was excellent - knowledgeable and it was really well pitched." Understanding Literacy for GCSEs participant, Bromley
- Understand how to analyse the literacy demands of your own subject
- Examine mark schemes from a range of subjects and have a go at modelling extended writing
- Transform informal, speech–like writing to a more formal written style
- Learn to highlight specific language features and appropriate academic register that enable students to write like subject experts
- Explore reciprocal reading and the Directed Activities Related to Texts (DARTS) approach
£175 for the first participant per school and £125 for every colleague you bring. Tickets include a £25 discount on membership of the National Literacy Trust. Existing members receive a £25 discount per school.
We offer schools who attend our training a £25 discount on purchases of Skills Academy, a 10-week intervention programme that teaches five core reading comprehension skills using engaging texts and online challenges. Skills Academy also includes a year's membership of the National Literacy Trust. If you would like to take up this offer please tick the box in the form below.