07 Apr 2024 - 02 Jul 2024
Education Endowment Foundation (EEF) guidance for Key Stage 2 reports extensive evidence to show that explicit teaching of comprehension improves literacy.
This CPD provides a detailed understanding of reading comprehension, the case for reading enjoyment and strategies to improve reading comprehension.
What will I learn?
- Explore practical and creative approaches to develop pupils' comprehension strategies in the classroom
The key to great comprehension teaching is an exciting range of high-quality books for pupils to engage with. As well as classroom strategies, participants will look at a range of extracts from picture and chapter books.
- Explore inference as the key to great readers
We know inference is vital to comprehension and that this is represented in the domain and test at Key Stage 2. Deepen your understanding and skill in teaching the different types of inference including coherence and interrogative inference.
- Develop an action plan with strategies learned from research/develop tools and resources for effective whole school practice
We provide the content, structure and methodology for participants to produce an action research project, exploring and addressing the issues identified in their school with the aim of developing effective reading comprehension.
- Create an environment of collaborative study, professional dialogue and critical reflection through joint practice development
Participants learn from each other, share practice and examine different approaches and challenges. We encourage the group to take what they have learned back into their schools and trial approaches to see what works best for them.
Costing and attendance
The training takes place online over four 90-minute sessions:
- Day 1: Tuesday 16 April 2024, 9.00 - 15.00
- Day 2: Tuesday 2 July 2024, 9.00 - 15.00
Sessions will not be recorded.
The cost of attendance is £280.00, and £220.00 per additional colleague. National Literacy Trust premium members receive a £50 discount per booking. Attendance includes a year's membership of the National Literacy Trust for those who don't already have it.
Form coming soon! To book your place, please contact Ruth King: firstname.lastname@example.org