Are you a writer looking to share your knowledge and passion with young people? Do you want to develop your skills running school workshops?
Our new course, developed in partnership with Arvon, BookTrust and The Reading Agency helps writers who want to engage with schools, libraries and cultural and community venues to deliver workshops for children and young people.
Day 1: 26 June, The Albany, Douglas Way, London SE8 4AG
Day 2: 3 July, The Albany, Douglas Way, London SE8 4AG
Day 3: 10 July, Homleigh Primary School, Dunsmure Rd, London N16 5PU
The course will help you:
- increase your knowledge about schools, the curriculum and educational practices
- develop the skills to deliver creative, relevant and engaging sessions for children and young people
- support you in establishing yourself as a practitioner in the market
The training includes:
- three days of expert training, including a visit from an expert who regularly delivers workshops for young people
- connection with a local organisation who can support your career development
- opportunities to practise delivering activities in a local school, with support and feedback
- National Literacy Trust-certified DBS clearance
- access to exclusive Arvon resources
Who can apply?
We are particularly keen to hear from writers from diverse backgrounds and underrepresented groups.
For your application to be considered, you have to have had at least one of your own works published. For poets, this means a collection rather than inclusion in an anthology.
In your application, please explain why you are interested in this course. We expect participants to have:
- a genuine interest in working with schools and/or communities
- willingness to learn and a commitment to reflecting on their practice
- enthusiasm for supporting children and young people to develop their creativity, writing and love of reading
- commitment to diversity and inclusive practice
There is a bursary available which would cover the full cost of the course for two writers. For further information, please see the application form.
How to apply
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following documents by 5pm on Friday 15th June:
- A completed application form (including supporting statement from a referee)
- Your current CV
We will let you know the outcome of your application by 19th June.