"PISA data consistently shows that engagement in reading is strongly correlated with reading performance and is a mediator of gender or socio-economic status."OECD, 2021
The reading framework, published in July 2021 by the DfE, advised that "making sure that children become engaged with reading from the beginning is one of the most important ways to make a difference to their life chances, whatever their socio-economic background". However, research conducted in May and June 2020 found that reading enjoyment levels in early 2020 were at the lowest we have recorded since we began surveying children and young people in 2005.
At this CPD, conducted over three short online sessions, attendees will engage with research to explore the transformative potential of reading for pleasure. They will engage with other schools and design an action plan tailored to their setting using strategies such as exploring whole texts and "book talk".
- Examine a range of approaches, including choosing and using whole texts
- Engage with research around the benefits of reading for enjoyment
- Develop an action plan to create a community of readers in your school
- Plan for embedding these successful approaches more widely across your school
Structure and cost
All training will take place online via Zoom. Training will take place over two 90-minute sessions with a two-hour follow-up session to feed back:
- Session 1: Monday 29 November 3:30 - 5pm
- Session 2: Wednesday 1 December 3:30 - 5pm
- Follow-up session: spring 2022, date TBC
The cost is £210.00 for the first attendee, and £190.00 for each additional colleague.
National Literacy Trust school members will receive a £50 discount per school booking.
Book your place using the form below. If you have any questions, please contact the schools team on firstname.lastname@example.org