"A richly rewarding training. The knowledge and personality of the trainer were engaging. This will have an impact on my school."Reading Comprehension CPD participant
Education Endowment Fund (EEF) guidance for Key Stage 2 reports extensive evidence to show that explicit teaching of comprehension improves literacy.
Key to great comprehension teaching is an exciting range of books for pupils to engage with. As well as classroom strategies, participants will look at a range of extracts from picture and chapter books.
Course structure and pricing
The course takes place over two days, spread across two terms to allow critical reflection between sessions.
To promote collaborative practice, we encourage two teachers including the literacy lead from each school to participate. We also invite a head or senior leader to attend the first session free of charge.
- Day 1: 17 October 2019
- Day 2: TBC
- £400 for the first participant
- £300 for each additional participant
- We invite a head or senior leader from each school to attend the first session free of charge
- Attendance includes one year's membership of the National Literacy Trust and current members receive a £50 discount per booking
- Where does comprehension sit in relation to the wider concept of reading
- The key processes of comprehension - deepening our knowledge
- Evaluation of current strategies and practice
- Next steps
- Digging deeper: exploring and developing inference
- Balancing teaching and testing
- The importance of vocabulary instruction
- The importance of knowledge of children's literature
To book or for more information please email the schools team or call us on 020 7820 6258.