Key to great comprehension teaching is an exciting range of books for pupils to engage with. As well as classroom strategies, participants will look at a range of extracts from picture and chapter books. The DfE states that the best CPD involves time for critical reflection. We present you with strategies but have a gap between sessions for you to test approaches in your own classroom and identify what works.
Course structure and pricing
The course takes place over two days, spread across two terms to allow critical reflection between sessions.
To promote collaborative practice, we encourage two teachers including the literacy lead from each school to participate. We also invite a head or senior leader to attend the first session free of charge.
- day 1: 5 February 2018
- day 2: 17 April 2018
- £450 for the first participant
- £300 for each additional participant
- Attendance includes one year's membership of the National Literacy Trust giving all teachers in the school access to a range of resources*
*existing National Literacy Trust Members receive a £50 discount per school
- Where does comprehension sit in relation to the wider concept of reading
- The key processes of comprehension - deepening our knowledge
- Evaluation of current strategies and practice
- Next steps
- Digging deeper: exploring and developing inference
- Balancing teaching and testing
- The importance of vocabulary instruction
- The importance of knowledge of children's literature