"Brilliant session and very clear."Previous participant, Literacy for Maths
Literacy has historically been seen as a less significant contributing factor to achievement in mathematics in comparison to other subjects. However, with changes to GCSE exam specifications, literacy in the context of learning maths has become a more significant indicator of success. A recent report from GL Assessment - Read All About It: Why reading is key to GCSE success - states that "the correlation between good literacy and good student outcomes at GCSE was higher in maths than in some arts subjects like history and English literature".
At this half-day workshop, delegates will:
- Understand the specific literacy skills required for pupils to achieve in mathematics: Decode and understand problems which involve large amounts of text
- Demonstrate the effectiveness of carefully constructed classroom activities: Develop students' understanding of mathematical concepts through talk
- Develop a toolkit of strategies and resources to develop literacy for mathematics in the classroom: Support students to construct clear responses to multi-stage problems and questions which require reasoning and explanation.
- Understand the role of vocabulary acquisition in responding to mathematical problems: Enable students to engage with key vocabulary and associated words in a meaningful way.
Introduction: objectives and outcomes of the training
- What do we mean by literacy in mathematics?
- Learn how to effectively decode questions
- "Warming up the text" - find the right information to help solve the mathematical problem
- What are the ground rules for mathematical talking?
- Understand the importance of collaborative learning
- "ABCD explain" - turning talk into writing
- Learn about the importance of drafting and redrafting
- Explore the use of word games as an aid to students trying out different words
- Understand the importance of context
- Word families: explore common word roots as a means to helping students make connections
£125 for the first delegate per school and £75 for each additional delegate. All bookings include a year's membership of the National Literacy Trust.*
*Current members will receive a £25 discount per school
Any questions? Please contact email@example.com.