"...schools should strengthen whole-school literacy work across all departments to ensure that students extend and consolidate their literacy skills in all appropriate contexts."Ofsted, Moving English Forward
This training will help you to:
- develop subject leaders’ literacy pedagogy and equips literacy leaders with strategic tools for audit, evaluation, monitoring and dissemination
- complete an action research project to develop strategies
- build an excellent basis for whole school improvement, including narrowing attainment gaps. Each programme works with a cluster of schools, allowing you to share expertise and build great working relationships
This is a 3-day course.
- 21 October 2019
- 22 January 2020
- 20 March 2020
Each day will run from 9:30 to 15:30.
Day 1: Oracy
- Explore the roles and responsibilities in developing literacy within curriculum areas
- Audit subject areas with a focus on speaking and listening
Day 2: Writing
- Review of whole school oracy progress and impact of strategies trialled
- Understand the theory behind "talk as a bridge to writing"
Day 3: Reading
- Reading and viewing: what is different about multimodal literacy?
- Developing reading skills
To promote collaborative practice, we encourage two teachers from each school (including the literacy lead) to attend. We also invite a head or senior leader to attend the first session free of charge.
First delegate per school - £500
Additional delegates - £400
Price includes a year's membership of the National Literacy Trust. Existing members receive a £50 discount per school - please contact the schools team or call 020 7820 6258 for more information.