Improving Boys' Literacy is a two-day CPD designed to help teachers and literacy leaders in Key Stage 2 and 3 understand the factors impacting on boys' literacy, explore the role of societal attitudes towards gender and develop strategies to use in the classroom.
Day 1 - Reading
31 January - 9:30-15:30
- Unpicking the gender gap and exploring our own preconceptions
- Boy meets world: what's the impact of culture on gender outcomes?
- Exploration of reading for enjoyment
- The role of technology
- Reading comprehension and the importance of inference
- Resources to support - and expectations for - day 2
Day 2 - Writing
1 May - 9:30-15:30
- Reviewing the contents of day 1
- Exploring boys and writing - what’s the problem?
- Considering the importance of grammar
- Tools for success: quality teaching and learning of writing
- Planning for activity beyond the training
- £400 for the first participant, £300 for each additional colleague
- We invite a head or senior leader from each school to attend the first session free of charge
Attendance includes one year's membership of the National Literacy Trust giving all teachers in the school access to a range of resources. Existing National Literacy Trust members receive a £50 discount per school.