Pupils’ vocabulary affects their ability to communicate and to understand the world. This one-day workshop helps teachers develop their knowledge of how words work and suggests practical strategies for direct instruction, including an exploration of the link between word knowledge and reading comprehension.
What will I learn?
- Reading, vocabulary and how they work together – the research around the ‘vocabulary gap’
- Word meaning, word knowledge and word-building – exploring new language and the three-tier model
- Learning and loving new words – direct and indirect instruction
- Practical strategies for teaching vocabulary
- Reflection and further resources
Structure and costing
Training takes place over two 90-minute online sessions:
- Session 1: Tuesday 19 October 15:30 - 17:00
- Session 2: Wednesday 20 October 15:30 - 17:00
The cost is £140.00 per person. Those with a full school membership of the National Literacy Trust receive a £25 discount per booking.
Book your place using the form below. If you have any questions or problems, please contact the schools team: firstname.lastname@example.org.