As part of the Read North East campaign, we've launched an exciting comic strip competition in partnership with Penguin Random House. The competition challenges Key Stage 2 pupils (Years 3 to 6) in the North East to design their own three-panel Zoo-Wee Mama comic strip inspired by those that appear in the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books. The winner will have the chance to meet author Jeff Kinney at an event in Newcastle!
What resources are available?
Schools in the North East can access a number of resources to help them run the competition:
- A competition template for pupils to create their comic strips
- A downloadable poster that can be displayed in your school to promote the competition
- Downloadable notes for teachers with fun ideas and activities to incorporate the competition into class time.
What are the prizes?
- The winner and up to 30 classmates will meet Jeff Kinney at an event in Newcastle on 16 November, and win a box of Diary of a Wimpy Kid books for their school!
- Five runners up will also receive a box of Diary of a Wimpy Kid books.
How to enter?
This competition is open to and completely free for all schools in the North East of England. Entries are invited from pupils in Years 3 to 6. To enter, pupils should:
- Design their own three-panel Zoo-Wee-Mama comic strip inspired by those that appear in Jeff’s books using competition template
- The comic strip should be about something funny that happens when returning to school after the summer holidays
- It should include speech bubbles to show when a character is talking and characters and scenes drawn in a cartoon style
- The story should end the strip with the main character shouting “Zoo-Wee Mama!” as in the books.
Teachers should submit entries on behalf of their pupils and post them to:
Read North East
National Literacy Trust
68 South Lambeth Road
London SW8 1RL
Or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Enter your details below if you want to be reminded to enter the competition.